Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Elderberry Syrup and Fire Cider - Building You Immune System- Episode 003

Tomorrow evening, November 4, marks the New or Dark Moon. It is a time of new beginnings and of self-work. I usually try to set an intention for the New Moon. November is also casually known as the month of gratitude. So my intention this moon cycle is to acknowledge three things every day I am grateful for. And I want to get specific about things, people, even places. Every time I do this, I learn so much about myself. Starting tomorrow, I will be posting on my social media using #NewMoonGratitude. I hope you take some time to look at what you are grateful for in your daily life and join me using the hashtag. 

This week’s podcast is the second in my short series about Immune Building. I will tell you about elderberry syrup and why it is so popular AND good for you. You will also hear the story about Fire Cider, lawsuits, and trademarks and learn how to make your own. Let’s get your medicine cabinet started for this winter. Don’t let your immune system get you down.

Podcast tea: Equal parts of hibiscus, rosehips, and orange peel, all full of antioxidants and vitamin c mixed together. Place 2-3 teaspoons in a tea strainer, pour boiled water over it, and steep for 10 minutes. I add just a touch of elderberry-infused honey added for a tad more immune support.

Below are my personal recipes for Elderberry Syrup and Fire Cider. These have become really popular the last couple of years, and NOW is the time to get them made, so you have them in your arsenal for the winter.

Elderberry syrup

1/2 cup dried elderberries
2 teaspoons dried ginger root (4 teaspoons fresh)
1/2 to a whole cinnamon stick, crushed
2 cups water
About 1 cup raw honey, local preferred

In sauce pan add elderberries, ginger, cinnamon, and water. Bring to a near boil and reduce to simmering. Cook until reduced by about half the liquid. Strain. Let cool until warm. Add honey. Store in glass jar with good sealing lid. Mark with contents and date made. Will stay good for at least 30 days. Makes about 2 cups (1 pint). Store in the refridgerator.
NOTE: I also add enough 80-100 proof vodka to make it 30% alcohol by volume for longer shelf life, but not necessary.

Dose: Take 1-2 tablespoons per day to build immune system. 1-2 as needed if sick. Can be added to hot water to make a tea.

Lynn’s Fire Cider 2021 version

One gallon glass jar with plastic lid
2 quarts (or more) raw apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons black peppercorns, crushed
3 thumbs organic turmeric
2 thumbs organic ginger
1-2" piece of organic horseradish root
1 medium to large organic onion peeled
1 organic jalepeno
1 organic red cayenne/chilie
1 HEAD of organic garlic, peeled
2 organic oranges, with rinds
1 organic lemon, with rinds
1 organic lime, with rinds
A handful of organic rosemary (fresh)
A handful of organic oregano (fresh)
A handful of organic thyme (fresh)
2 Cinnamon sticks (Ceylon)

Raw honey (local preferred) to taste

Chop all ingredients and add to the glass jar. Fill to the top with organic apple cider vinegar. Place plastic lid on the jar. Secure tightly. Give the jar a good shake. Do this at least once a day for a month. After a month, strain with fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth. Be sure to squeeze all the ingredients to get out all the good medicine. Store in glass jars with plastic lids. I usually get about two quarts, sometimes a bit more.
Dose: Can take a one ounce shot of the Fire Cider daily, with or with out added honey. Can take as needed, if sick, again, with or without honey.
Can also be used in vinegrette dressings and other places where you use vinegar.

You can take the marc (the herbs and vegetables left after straining) and dehydrate it well, then turn it into a lovely seasoning by powdering it. Can be used on fish, chicken and more. Bottle it up in cute containers and share with friends during the holiday season.

Remember, there are many different ways to make Fire Cider, so do what works for you. Last year I used turmeric powder, because that is all I had. And this year I was called to add the cinnamon sticks and herbs from my garden. Every year I let the Universe guide me when shopping and making the Fire Cider.

I would love to hear if you make your own. If predictions are right, at least in my area, we are expecting a really cold, wet winter, which means more time indoors and a better chance to catch something. Let's get those medicine cabinets ready for the winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment